– Make new friends! You mix with so many different and interesting people at book club who all share a common interest with you – reading! So it is a great opportunity to make new friends!
– Get to read books you would have never usually picked up! Book clubs introduce you to authors and books you have never heard of before or would never have picked up for yourself usually.
– Get other people’s interpretations! Everybody is different and can bring something individual to the book that you would never have thought of before. For example people who are married, divorced, eighteen years old or thirty years old all bring something different to the book which you have not necessarily thought about before. Also people pick up things which you have missed in the book and it is not until they have said it that you notice it has been right under your nose all along!
– A peaceful escapism! Book clubs are a great time out from the hectic world we live in! To sit down, have a coffee and discuss the book you have all read is such a good way to relax and de-stress.
– Great way to learn new things! The more you read, the more you learn, so by reading all kinds of books (especially the ones you would not usually pick up yourself) you expand your knowledge!
– It is free! This may not be true for all book clubs but the book club I am in and the ones at local libraries are often free of charge!
– Improves communication skills! Book clubs are a great way for self-expression as you have to give your opinions of the books you read to other people. You can say if you like the book, do not like it and nobody is going to tell you that is wrong! This makes you much more confident because you are able to communicate your own opinion to your group.
– Some books need to be discussed! Have you ever finished a book where something you never thought would happen happened? Like for instance the hero of the book died and you are dying to tell somebody and share the shock and frustration with someone else but nobody has read the book?! Well book club gives you a chance to do that! Also especially on books that have open endings it is really interesting to discuss the possibilities with others because they might have thought something different to what you did.
– Helps you stick with books! Nothing is more frustrating than getting halfway through a book then not having time to finish it and by being in a book club you make sure you finish it. Having a deadline for when you have to finish it by makes it more of a priority to complete the book.
– Makes you read more often! Sometimes you find you do not have the time to read but being in a book club makes you make time specially out of your busy day to read the book whether it is on the tube journey to work or waiting for someone in your car.