The EuroBasket competition is the main competition in basketball, which 24 European teams take part in. Founded in 1935, it has been regularly contested every two years since 1947. But starting in 2017, it will change to every four years. This year saw France become the champions of the tournament on 22nd September 2013. They beat Lithuania 80-66. The game could have gone either way as Lithuania were initially leading 29-27 but France managed to turn it back around. The game hero was France’s Nicolas Batum who scored eight points. Their proud victory was France’s first European title. After the game tournament MVP Parker said: “It’s hard to describe how I feel. The journey was unbelievable. I wouldn’t change a thing”. The EuroBasket final had a solid 10000 spectator turn out.
Both the GB men’s and women’s team failed to reach the final six with the women competing last July. The GB men’s team lost 88-65 to France and 76-71 to Belgium then beat Israel 75-71 and Germany 81-74 but were eventually knocked out by Ukraine’s strong performance 68-87. This ended GB’s progress into the EuroBasket’s second round illuminating them from the competition. Kieron Achara was one of team GB’s strongest performers as he scored an average of 10.6 points per game. Although they didn’t make it into the final, GB Chairman Roger Mooreland was hopeful for the future of the team. He said: “we have a pipeline of talent coming through the under-16s, 18s and 20s which is really exciting”.
GB were originally aiming for a top six finish in order to secure their Olympic funding. Even though they didn’t reach this target British Basketball hopes that UK Sport will recognise the potential of the GB Squad. UK Sport will assess the situation in January 2014 making their decision for funding February 2014.
As neither the GB men’s or women’s team failed to reach the final six of their tournaments neither will participate in next year’s World Championships. The GB men’s head coach Joe Prunty said: “It’s frustrating we lost and didn’t’ make the second round… but we can be proud of what we have achieved”. Their next competitive fixtures will probably be the qualification games for the 2015 EuroBasket competition.
– Pinsk – I would love to travel to Pinsk in Belarus. Mainly because it is where my Grandad was born (as you probably guessed by the last name Chekruga) but also because it looks so beautiful. It is full of history and culture. I can’t wait to visit! A fun fact about Pinsk – the parents of Ralph Lauren, the American fashion designer lived in Pinsk before moving to the USA.
– Bora Bora – ever since I saw photos of Bora Bora I fell in love with it. It is literally heaven on earth. Imagine the perfect beach, lovely white sand glistening in the sunshine which clear seawater and beautiful marine life – that is exactly what Bora Bora is like. It is an ideal haven for a relaxing break away from reality.
– New York – as a writer New York for me seems to ooze opportunity. I would love to sit in Central Park on a picnic blanket with an old school notepad and pen and just sit there and write all day until the sun went down. Also I would love to work for a magazine in New York, in a tall skyscraper with your very own fancy office where everything matches. Also the shopping in New York is world class so I really want to go to Tiffany’s, Bloomingdales, and Ralph Lauren (my favourite clothing brand). It is a huge ambition of mine to see the sites of New York too.
– Rome – Rome is so full of culture and history which I am really interested in. when I go on holiday I don’t want to go to Kavos or Magaluf – what is the point when you go to the same clubs every night that aren’t even that different from the ones in England anyway. When I go on holiday it is because I want to actually see places I wouldn’t usually see at home, I want to embrace a new country’s culture and absorb myself in their local history and past. I want to interact with the local people and learn their language. This is why Rome appeals to me so much.
– Las Vegas – I am really into boxing, it is my favourite sport and I would love to see a boxing fight in Las Vegas. I have been to quite a few fights and really enjoyed them but going to one in Vegas would be out of this world. My uncle went to Vegas and saw Ricky Hatton in a boxing fight and he had an amazing time. I also want to venture into the casinos they have there too!